MGM Resorts wins right to build casino near Washington, D.C. • 2:15 PM
- Regulators in Maryland select MGM Resorts (MGM +0.3%) as the casino operator which will be allowed to build the newest complex in the state.
- The land allotted for the project is situated just across the Potomac River from Washington D.C.
- Early information from MGM indicates the complex will have a hotel, high-end shopping, and a casino with 3,600 slot machines and 140 table games.
- Penn National Gaming (PENN +0.1%) was left on the outside looking in.
- The Maryland gaming commission's take: "MGM has a better approach...MGM will attract high rollers."