Meetings & Information




*****************************
****************************************************
MUST READ:
GET THE FACTS!






Saturday, July 30, 2011

Compulsive teen gambling is on the rise

Compulsive teen gambling is on the rise
Columnists
Gary Crist - Lifestyle

Dear Gary: I have a question regarding my 16-year-old nephew, my sister's son. I found out from my sister that my nephew has been stealing money from them and even used their charge card without their permission. Apparently he has been gambling and needed money to pay his debts and to gamble. My sister found out that her son was betting on sports and was able to do this by using a bookie that, I guess, did not care or check to see how old my nephew was. She also found out that he was playing poker and buying scratch tickets like they were going out of style. My sister is minimizing all of this. They grounded my nephew and believe that this will pass. I believe it is serious and that they need to intervene before things get more out of hand. I'd be very interested in whose side you are on. I will show her the column regardless. Thank you.

- ANONYMOUS IN LOVELAND

Dear Anonymous: Based upon the information you gave, I would have to side with you on this as I believe your nephew has an obsession with gambling. Teen gambling is on the rise, with Internet gambling making it easy for teens to gamble. In many states gambling is legal at age 18 and, even if they are not allowed to participate in all forms of gambling, older teens can gamble without breaking the law. Gambling has been glamorized with the World Series of Poker being televised. Teens see this as a way to "get rich quick." This is made worse by the ability to gamble using a credit card. The government even encourages gambling by sanctioning state-run lotteries and scratch cards. As a result of teen gambling adolescents, like your nephew, mount up debt that they cannot hope to pay back, and this leads to stealing and lying. I believe your nephew is addicted to gambling. As a result he is likely spending more and more time placing bets and less on schoolwork and relationships with family and friends.

The fact that he is stealing money and using his parents' charge cards is evidence of how far he is involved in this. Compulsive gamblers are risk takers gone awry and are often among the brightest students. Their gambling addiction is not as easy to spot as that of a seriously depressed and withdrawn teen.

Yes, show this column to your sister and encourage her to get her son help. Compulsive gambling is like other addictions. Outside help may be the only way your nephew can stop. Have her answer the following questions as it relates to her son's gambling. My guess is that the answers will help her come to grips with the extent of his problem. Your teen has a gambling problem if he/she is: » spending more money than he/she can afford to lose » neglecting school, work and friends so that he/she can gamble - lying about his/her gambling behaviors » thinking about gambling all the time » unable to stop gambling, even when he/she tries

Windsor resident Gary Crist is a mediator, social worker, facilitator and trainer who writes a weekly Beacon column.

No comments: