Meetings & Information




*****************************
****************************************************
MUST READ:
GET THE FACTS!






Thursday, June 3, 2010

Another Gambling Addict Steals

Ex-Cumbrian tax boss stole

The former chair of the Cumbrian branch of the Chartered Institute of Taxation has apologised for stealing £186,000 to fund a gambling addiction.

Thomson diverted repayments meant for clients into her own bank accounts – and then squandered the cash playing online games.

Thomson, 35, is the former chair of the Cumbria and South West Scotland Branch of the Chartered Institute of Taxation. She was chosen for the position in 2006.

The tax adviser, who lives in Hermitage Drive, Dumfries, pleaded guilty to the fraud at the town’s sheriff court last week where she was ordered to carry out community service and seek help for her addiction.

Speaking from her home after the case she said: “I’d just like to say I’m sorry for everything that I did.

“I was having personal problems and got involved in online gambling and it just escalated.

“I was using Betfair online mainly; playing games 24/7. It was every day of the week.”

She added: “I knew what I was doing was wrong.

“I was taking on too much but I was just addicted to what I was doing.

“It’s in the past now and I’m sorry for what’s went on.”

In court Thomson admitted that over a six-month period to January last year she pretended to HM Revenue and Customs that bank accounts operated by her were authorised to receive repayments of tax to clients of her employers.


The court was told she blamed a serious gambling addiction and it was confirmed she had made regular and considerable payments to various online betting companies totalling more than £186,000.

Solicitor Peter Mullin said Thomson had developed the gambling addiction after personal problems.

No comments: