Meetings & Information




*****************************
****************************************************
MUST READ:
GET THE FACTS!






Saturday, October 29, 2011

Chopra: My gambling addiction is not cured

Chopra: My gambling addiction is not cured
By MEL HENDERSON

MICHAEL CHOPRA has opened his heart on the gambling addiction that threatened to wreck his career.


The Ipswich striker, who lines up at Millwall today after a second spell in rehab, said: "It's a huge relief to get all this out in the open.

"I know I'll be a better player for facing up to my problems - I just wish I'd done this five years ago.

"I know I'm not cured. There is still a long way to go."

Chopra, who once lost £15,000 in a couple of hours betting on horses, said: "Being a footballer you've a lot of free time. Some play golf. I gambled.

"Bookmakers shut at nine or 10 but you've got the internet, your phone too.

"Whatever I could bet on, I would. It reached breaking point and I realised I had to do something about it.

"I'd be waking up in the night betting on matches in Brazil and Argentina.

"I'd get little sleep and then come to training the next day not in the right frame of mind.

"If people want to take the mickey, I'm not bothered. I'll be stronger for talking about this.

"It's a massive release and I can't wait to let my football do the talking."

No comments: