Meetings & Information




*****************************
****************************************************
MUST READ:
GET THE FACTS!






Monday, August 16, 2010

What Lester Holt Showed about Chicago

Having witnessed OTB in New York State destroy a community, the repeating pattern by short-sighted political leaders around the country who accept this "Something for Nothing" scheme for the sake of a few gold coins is both pathetic and disappointing.

The information, the statistics, the reports are out there for public scrutiny.

Maybe a few will have the wisdom and integrity to stand tall and speak out.



What Lester Holt Showed about Chicago

In July 2006, I bought a small condo in Chicago’s South Loop and began calling the city my second home. I love Chicago. The city is so vibrant, at least the section where I live and the places where I wander and roam. But I know that for black people living in gang infested communities on the South Side, Chicago is a place where people grieve every day.

I was in Chicago on Sunday, July 18, 2010, when police officer Michael Bailey was murdered. My daughter Sylvia and I were getting ready to leave for Spencer Leak’s Funeral Home on the South Side, when we heard on the local news that a policeman had been shot.

We didn’t know the details as we drove to the funeral home where Spencer Leak, broadcasts his Sunday radio program, “It’s Time Truth Speaks.” I had been invited to talk about my book, CONFESSIONS OF A SLOT MACHINE QUEEN, and to state my opposition to a bill (which Governor Pat Quinn recently signed) that would repeal a forty-year ban on video gambling in bars and restaurants. When I later learned about the murder I thought, “No wonder there are so few black people protesting this proliferation of gambling throughout the city. They’re under siege.”

The Sunday, August 15, 2010, Dateline Special with Lester Holt showed just how burdened people in many South Side communities are. They’re dealing with a level of violence that is beyond comprehension. They’re trying to keep their children safe. They’re mourning the ones they lost. They’re trying to stop the violence.

Sandra Adell, Author, CONFESSIONS OF A SLOT MACHINE QUEEN: A MEMOIR

No comments: