Meetings & Information




*****************************
****************************************************
MUST READ:
GET THE FACTS!






Wednesday, March 7, 2012

National Problem Gambling Awareness Week

A Gambler's Addiction: A Hopeful Recovery
By Andrew Clay, Monongalia and Preston County Reporter - email

MORGANTOWN - For every story of addiction hardship there is a story of recovery and hope.

Jim A. is an Ohio native who now lives in Morgantown. The last few years of his life have been a whirlwind after almost losing everything to gambling.

But Jim's life is changing. Jim is on his way to recovering from an addiction he felt he never had control over.

"It was like someone tripped a switch from that point forward, and that was about two-and-a-half, three years ago," Jim said. "From that point forward I'd do anything I could to go get funds to gamble some more."

What started off as seemingly harmless scratch-off tickets became an obsession for Jim when he learned to gamble using video poker machines.

Over the course of several years, he lost more than money. Jim lost jobs, his home, and his family.

But those days are long behind him, as Jim has been abstinent from gambling for more than a year.

"I went to the meetings basically because people said I needed to go," Jim said. "Of course at the time I didn't think I did. It took about six months to really about nine months before it finally took hold."

His battle has been difficult , full of Gamblers Anonymous meetings and canceling sessions, but Jim's inspiration is never far away.

In his pocket he keeps his mother's 20-year Alcoholics Anonymous chip, reminding him of her battle with addiction and keeping him strong.

"It helps me stay calm," Jim said. "It does. It means tranquility. It means hope, everything that's on the coin."

Jim's life is improving every day. While he lives paycheck-to-paycheck in student housing, he knows he is moving forward in a positive direction and wants everyone to know that they can do the same thing.

"Do I want to go and put my face on TV? No, not really, but if it's going to help one person, then it's absolutely worth it because it has done wonders for me. I know more about myself than I ever did," Jim said.

Recently, Jim rediscovered his love for fishing and is starting to repair relationships with his family as well.

This week is National Problem Gambling Awareness Week. If you have a problem, or know somebody who does, you can call the Problem Gamblers Help Network of West Virginia at 1-800-GAMBLER

No comments: