Meetings & Information




*****************************
****************************************************
MUST READ:
GET THE FACTS!






Sunday, April 17, 2011

Gambling Addiction Program

Gambling Addiction Program

KXMBTV Bismarck It doesn't involve a substance..... But for a gambling addict, the anticipation and excitement of the win can be just as powerful as an addiction to drugs or alcohol.

Megan Lowry tells us one man's story of addiction...

And we have concealed his identity. (Nat of gambling) (Ray) "There is nothing physical about it its a mental addiction." (nat of chips) A caculated risk that for Ray spun out of control. " I remeber one afternoon I was half way there before I even realized where I was it was just a black out and I couldn't turn around

Seemingly innocent fun that quickly turned into his number priority "I wasn't living I was existingin hell on earth. As the addication strengthened, Ray began skipping work and sometimes disapearing for days

"I knew I had a problem but I had no idea it was an addiction I just thought there was something wrong with me not that it was an addiction like alcohol.

(Lisa Voller) That it is the hardest thing for people to understand that they are not injesting anything but when person engages in that activity there is something that happens in the brain chemistry and its hitting that reward system and thats what they contine to seek and it initally works

Lisa Voller counsels gambling addicts through Gamblers Choice North Dakota

A state wide program geared to helping people get out from under their debt. "They have to aknowledge that there is a problem and then we can step in and help." For Ray, it took his son confronting him with his credit card reciepts before he could get a handle on his addiction. "For one thing you are always chasing your losses and you never make it up and once you quit and the big thing is all the time i lost I'll never get that back. He has been living a gambling free life for 14, leaving his past life on the table. "I thank god because now life has a meaning and a purpose. and that is something he can bet onwith the support he has of friends and family

Megan Lowry, Kx News

Ray attends weekly meetings with Gamblers Choice. He credits the support of friends and family for his continued success.

No comments: