Meetings & Information




*****************************
****************************************************
MUST READ:
GET THE FACTS!






Thursday, February 10, 2011

The ultimate price: SUICIDE

Please stop advertising gambling
By Joanna Kirsch,

The Leader-Post
I recently listened to a fellow business person in Regina tell of his family's misfortune last year. His son-in-law lost everything due to a gambling addiction, then finally took his own life, leaving behind a wife and two young children. Not only do they no longer have a home, they no longer have a dad. How tragic. This is the second such story I know and it breaks my heart to see families affected by gambling addiction.

I know it is a person's choice whether or not to gamble. I know that some people are more susceptible to addictions than others. I'm positive that there are many more stories such as this. And, whatever I or we do, this won't stop these situations.

My appeal is that the public advertisements about how much fun it is to gamble should be withdrawn. I believe it is a horrible reminder to those who have lost everything, due to a loved one's addiction. Do they really need this?

I am grateful for the dollars that gambling contributes to our communities. I am not at all grateful for the hardships that gambling causes some families. I know that people will gamble no matter what. And that will never stop. But do we have to advertise? I think not.

Please, for the sake of the families in our neighbourhoods, stop advertising the fact that gambling is fun. I'm certain that it is not fun for those who have lost everything.

JOANNA KIRSCH

Regina



This writer has it right! Gambling is promoted as "The Wonder of it ALL" - without any warning that it can be addictive, just like cigarettes.

Gambling Addiction has the lowest rate of self-referral of all addictions and the highest rate of SUICIDE - the cost that Beacon Hill doesn't want to consider in their "Follow the Leader" march.

Studies have proven that PROXIMITY increases ADDICTION.

It's time for an open and transparent discussion about the costs and impacts of GAMBLING.

It's time for an INDEPENDENT COST BENEFIT ANALYSIS.

No comments: