Meetings & Information




*****************************
****************************************************
MUST READ:
GET THE FACTS!






Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Call for gambling 'risk awareness'

Call for gambling 'risk awareness'

The charity GamCare are calling for more awareness of the risks of gambling as new statistics show more people are becoming addicted.

Figures published today by the Gambling Commission suggest 35.5 million adults have gambled in the last 12 months.

Young males like Lewis are more likely to develop a problem.

Newsbeat spoke to 21-year-old Lewis about his experience of gambling addiction.

His problem got so bad that he ended up gambling away most of a trust fund left for him.

"Every time I had a free minute I'd go online to make a bet," admits the student.

"I used to come in from lectures and head straight to a computer - instead of going out with my mates, playing football or going to the gym."

His addiction grew from playing fruit machines when he was 18 and eventually moved onto gambling websites.

Like a lot of gamblers, Lewis got drawn in after a few early wins gave him a false sense of confidence.

"I started winning quite often and I thought 'I'm good at this', and kept going.

"But then gradually I lost money. I started getting really angry. I was obsessed about making it all back."

Greed and shame

Lewis says his he didn't have the perspective to realise the seriousness of his addiction.

"I didn't care about how much I spent," he admits. "I became greedy. I suppose I have an addictive personality.

"I changed - my friends family and my girlfriend all recognised it, but I didn't.

Continue reading the main story He left me a large sum of money in my trust fund. I blasted it all away on gambling

The low point came when he started to dip into money left to him in a will.

"[My granddad] left me a large sum of money in my trust fund. I blasted it all away on gambling.

"When I think about it I'm repulsed. It's disgusting. It shames me looking back on it.

"He left it to me in a trust fund. He trusted me to go on and do great things with it."

Lewis's problem was exposed last Christmas when his mum found statements showing he'd gambled away £1,400 in two months.

"I'd never seen her so angry," he says.

Advertising controls

Since the new year he's managed to avoid gambling, but reckons there should be tighter controls on its advertising.

"I'd like to see online gambling adverts on TV better regulated, especially during football matches.

You end up with serious mental health problems, as well as financial. It controls you
Lewis


"There are so many adverts on TV now. It seems like every other one. I notice it so much more now that I'm recovering."

Lewis says action should be taken because gambling can be just as damaging as other addictions, like alcohol and tobacco.

"You may not have physical health problems," he says.

"But you end up with serious mental health problems, as well as financial. It controls you."

He also reckons special introductory offers that "tempt" users into gambling should be looked at.

"They get you by offering you £30 free to sign up or introduce a friend, and then you end up spending hundreds."

"I dread to think how much I spent altogether. I have more of a value for money now."

No comments: