Meetings & Information




*****************************
****************************************************
MUST READ:
GET THE FACTS!






Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Gambling Addiction

Glen Waverley problem gambler shares her story to help others

A FORMER gambling addict whose habit landed her in jail for two years says she now wants to “do something positive” with the lessons learned from her harrowing experience.

“Sarah”, who asked that her real name be changed, was 38 with a successful career and steady marriage when she turned to the pokies and became trapped in the alluring anonymity it gave her.

“I was trying to find an escape because I wasn’t happy and it started on a small scale but then I couldn’t stop,” Sarah said.

“I honestly never enjoyed it but it was a place I could go and could hide — I was cocooned from life.”

Five years later, the Glen Waverley resident was jailed after stealing $200,000 from the business she ran with her husband to fuel her growing pokies addiction.

“Before I went to jail I had a nervous breakdown and that time was pretty intense for me,” she said.

“I was released about 14 months ago and I find that I need to talk about it because I want to show other people how it can happen to any normal person.”

The 45-year-old will share her story tomorrow night for Monash Council’s responsible gambling forum, as part of Responsible Gambling Awareness Week.

“I want to get across to other people that people will tell you to just stop, but it’s not that easy; it has to do with your mental health as well,” Sarah said.

“It’s something that needs to be brought out in the open a lot more.”

With a forgiving husband who has stuck by her, Sarah said she wanted to educate residents about the importance of seeking help for gambling addiction from family and friends as well as professional organisations like Gambler’s Help.

No comments: