Meetings & Information




*****************************
****************************************************
MUST READ:
GET THE FACTS!






Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Just another addict: $1.5m gambling debt

PREMIER League player Matthew Etherington is fighting a gambling addiction which saw him run up debts of about $1.5 million.

The Stoke City winger has been given a pay rise by his club to about $55,000 a week to help him out, with part of his salary earmarked to help him pay off his debts.

His previous club, West Ham United, also loaned him more than $500,000 to help him.

Etherington goes twice a week to Gambling Anonymous in Birmingham.

"I'll do that for the rest of my life,` he said.

"You meet like-minded people and you talk about things that help keep you off gambling. It has been a big help.

"I had to do something about it and I've done that.

"Now I'd like to get on with my life. I' be the first to admit I had problems with gambling and I never hide that fact.


"I would like to think my problems are long behind me now. I've got over that and come out the other side."

Etherington was first treated for his gambling addiction in 2007 and West Ham had to gain permission from the Premier League to advance his wages as they helped him to try to deal with the matter, while his form fluctuated.
He was sold to Stoke in 2008.

Etherington says he has finally turned his life around since quitting London and signing for Stoke and his boss, Tony Pulis, has recently been calling for his inclusion in the England World Cup squad.

Etherington said: "It's obviously nice to hear people talk like that and my form has been good over the past three months.

"ut there are many good players in my position and I won't be one of those coming out shouting I should be in the squad."


Also: LINK

No comments: